For some reason, I had been under impression that when a Team is not in your favorite list, you don’t get any Team or Channel notifications from it. It seems I was wrong. Perhaps this has been always as is (and avoided my tests) or the behavior has changed over the course of time.
So the notifications on Teams and Channels
- When you are a member of a Team you get notification each time team is @mentioned
- Team favorited and channel favorited: on channel @mention you get a notification
- Team not favorited and channel favorited: on channel @mention you get a notification
- Team favorited and channel not favorited: on channel @mention you don’t get a notification
- Team not favorited and channel not favorited: on channel @mention you don’t get a notification
The sad effect: if you don’t want Team notifications on not favorited teams but you want those notifications on your favorite teams: you have to leave the team for good and once you leave the team they can’t atmention you by name anymore. Sure, this keeps your list of teams more tidy but in order to take a quick peek inside you’ll have to go through join again.
Alternatively there is an option to disable team and channel mentioning in settings. However, many teams benefits of these.
If you don’t want any team notifications (not caring about that setting), then you can turn them off at notification settings and stick to channel mentions only.
Note: you can’t unfavorite a general channel!